Sunday, February 24, 2008

Obama Rally in Akron

Yesterday I was able to attend an Obama rally at the Knight Center in Akron. We were told the doors would open at 4pm and the speech would begin at 5:30. The group of us arrived at 3:30 hoping to be at the front-end of the line. Wrong.

The Knight Center occupies an entire block in downtown Akron. At 3:30 mind you, the line streched from the entrance around the entire outside of the building back to the entrance. Almost a complete circle - and many, many more people arrived after us.

It took us around 3 hours before we were able to get into the building, but atleast we got in.

I looked online and the capacity for the building is supposedly 3,500. I talked with an Obama volunteer and he said there was going to be atleast 6,000 admitted. Let me tell you, it was packed full. We had to stand for the whole speech, but it was worth it.

Since I've been following the campaigns closely, I didn't really hear anything new, but the event gave me the chills. You could just feel the energy and willingness of the crowd for this movement. It really seems like he has a rock star following.

I'm glad I went, but I'm getting too old to stand in the Ohio cold for these types of things.

No comments: